Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Slice of Life # 71 Festive Fall

I love fall, I enjoy Halloween.  We don't decorate or do much for it, I do enjoy going to my sister's house.  Her husband decorates all out.  Maybe when we own a home we will do this too.

Dan and I were married Oct 29th so I tend to really enjoy fall and decorating in the fall colors, even though you wouldn't know it right now, but one day when I have a home of my own and can start decorating I am hoping that it will reflect this taste of mine! :)

For Thanksgiving growing up I remember all of my Dad's side of the family would gather together at a scout camp, we could snow show, cross country ski or just play in the snow and come in and play games and such.  Now that we are all married and have in-laws to spend time with too, we just have scaled back to just one party for everyone that we call a Winter party.  For my family who ever of my sisters and I can come and spend it with my parents do. 

One thing we do each year is each of us brings a dessert.  This carry's over from the big family get-together's from years ago.  I am not much of a pie person, but I do make a pie once in awhile.  Last year I took an Oreo pudding pie.  

This year I am going to make a dessert from my kids Favorite book right now.  We got this at a thrift store from Grandma Nova for an early birthday gift.


My kids have really enjoyed this book.  I am going to check with my library for others in the Albert series.

In this book is a recipe for Pumpkin Pizza Pie.  My kids have asked me to make it so I have decided to make it for Thanksgiving.

Have fun and Enjoy your Fall Everyone!

Here is the Pumpkin Pizza Pie recipe if you want to try it out:

Albert's Pumpkin Pizza Pie
(Makes 3  12-inch Pizzas)

Ingredients:

3 Pounds sweet Pie Dough (recipe below)
3 cups Mashed Pumpkin or 1  29-ounce Can Pumpkin
3 Eggs
1 Cup Sugar or Honey
1 Tsp Pupkin Pie Spice
1/3 Cup Wipping Cream
Pinch of Salt
1 Cup of Whipping Cream Whipped with 1-2 TBSP Sugar and 1 SP. Vanilla  (or use 1 can of Whipped Cream)

1/4 Cup of Each for Each Pie:
Chocolate Chips or Butterscotch Chips or Mint chips or White Chocolate Chips
Candied Nuts
Raisins
Mini Marshmallows

Method:

Divide Dough Into Three Pieces and on Was Paper roll each into a 12-inch round about 1/8 inch thick.  Put on a baking sheet or Pizza Pan.  Next, In a bowl Mix Pumpkin, eggs Sugar, Spice, Cream and Salt until well blended.  spread 1 cup on each pizza dough, leaving about 1/2 inch from the edge.  Bake in 350 degree preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.  When it comes out of the oven and cools slightly decorate with whipped cream, chocolate chips, candied nuts, raisins and marshmallows.

Albert's Pumpkin Pizza Pie Dough
(Makes 3 Pizzas)

Ingredients:

3 Cups all-Purpose Flour
1 Pound Butter or Margarine
2/3 Cup Sugar
3 Whole Eggs or 6 Yolks

Method:
Cream the butter or margarine with the sugar in a mixing bowl, blending well.  Then add the eggs and slowly mix the flour and salt a little at a time.  Mix until a smooth dough is formed.  Chill for a couple or hours or overnight.  This dough can be made in a food processor.  (It also freezes well, but divide in three pieces before freezing.)

*Pumpkin Pizza Pie was created especially for Albert's Thanksgiving by California Chef Wendy Brodie.



4 comments:

Eliza said...

Yum! I'll have to try that!

Shari said...

What nice family traditions to remember. I grew up in the south and now I live in Florida. I hardly ever get to see snow.

Jenny said...

Oooh, thanks for sharing. The book looks darling and the recipe is something I'm going to have to try. Good luck with the potty training. That is can be so much work, but it will be so great when it's over!! Happy Halloween.

Pirate Princess said...

Mmmmm... that pizza pie sounds nummy! What a cute little book - I'll have to look it up and see if we have a copy. :)