Sunday, August 01, 2010

Slice of Life #11~ Dancing!

Dancing is this weeks Slice of Life Prompt.  I would have loved to posted a picture from one of the 4 High School Dances I went to, but the scrapbook that they are in is not accessible to get to at this time.  Once I move into my own home and can really unpack everything then I will be able to scan all of those pictures, boy I hate apartment living!

Now Onto Dancing.  I remember Dancing with my Dad and Grandpa Alcorn at the Hulse Reunion each summer in Ririe, ID.  I also remember going to Stake Dances from 14 until I was 18.  I would usually go with a few of my friends.  I remember being really excited to be old enough to go.  I also remember going to Sadie Hawkins with my foster sister Arvella the fall of my 10th grade year, I was still only 15 and she was 16 and since my parents wanted her to go with a group they allowed me to go with her even though I was not allowed to date.  I went with David White, a long time friend who sadly I have lost contact with over the lat 7 years.  Then I went to Morp that next spring with my friend Tawnay so she would have a group.  Again I still hadn't turned 16, but since it was a group my parents let me go. and I went with Devin Dewitt who was a friend in a couple of classes even though he was a senior and I was a sophomore.  I haven't seen him since he graduated 16 years ago.  I went to Preference my Junior and Senior year. Preference was girls choice Prom.  I took Mike Simpson to my Junior and David White my Senior.  My Group my Junior year included my friend Jennie and my Senior year include both Jennie and Elizabeth.  I never did go to Prom during High School, in fact I was the only one out of my 4 sisters and I that didn't go.  I always wanted to go.  I also went to institute dances in college.  I would load up my car with a few of the single guys in my ward and we would drive the hours drive from Phoenix to Mesa for the Dances.  I do have a picture some where of a group of us girls at the New Years Eve Dance just before I moved back to Utah to get ready to go on a mission.

But I think the Dance that I have to remember the most is 6 years ago I was the Activity Chairman in my ward and as a stake they decided to do a dance the Friday before Valentines.  Dan and I were dating at the time.  I was asked to do the decorations for the dance.  Our Theme was "A family that Danced together Stayed together".  Dan came and help me and the other Annette who was on my committee decorate.  They offered some Dance lessons an hour before the dance started, so Dan and I did some of those.  Some of you may not know this, but Dan took Ballroom while at BYU.  But since it had been so long he was a little rusty.  I think maybe we will take some dancing classes together in the future.  They even took pictures, and we had our picture taken (and of course that picture is packed away too).  At this point Dan and I had been dating for 2 months, but it wasn't serious, no kisses, just holding hands.  I had a cousin who wanted to set me up on a date with a friend, but I was hesitate to do it as I didn't know were Dan was thinking of taking our relationship.  So after we got home from the dance I had a talk with him and asked him were he thought our relationship was headed and I told him why I needed to know.  That night before he left we had our first kiss.  We were engaged 6 months later, and got married 2 months after we got engaged.  That dance will always be in my memory as  it is the one the changed my life forever!  I love you Dan!  Thanks for being there fore me!

4 comments:

FranE said...

Sweet post. Like that you got The Guy!.

Pirate Princess said...

Oh - I wish my Redbeard would have considered taking ballroom lessons. Good on you for being open - and glad it worked out!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

Wow we have alot in common! My husband also took ballroom at BYU and we had a very similar experience at a single's dance that led to our first kiss and us becoming engaged and married within approximately 5 months :o
Cool!
:)

Karen said...

What a great story!!