Sunday, June 06, 2010

Slice of Life #3 : Strawberries

This weeks slice of life entry is about berries!

I have always loved strawberries.  For years I have pretty much had a strawberry shortcake or strawberry cheesecake for my birthday as it is in May and you can usually get strawberries in the store.  We have learned this year that all of our kids love strawberries.  They didn't last long when I bought 4 boxes last week.  I also enjoy freezing them and using them in the winter on things.

Growing up I remember picking strawberries and raspberries in my Grandpa Dillon's garden.  Grandma & Grandpa Alcorn lived near berry farms in Washington, and my sister Jaclyn went one year to pick berries for the summer.

I also grew up with the old version of Strawberry Shortcake, I remember having curtains, and a bed canopy for my 4 poster bed with Strawberry Shortcake and friends on it.  I think on of my sister's ended up with the curtains, but because of that memory of having bedroom stuff once, I am trying to do something like that for my kids.  So far the two older kids have sheets/pillowcases for their beds, and I have one Princess toddler bed set that we gave Jennilyn for her 1st birthday.  I am thinking of upgrading her to Tinkerbell this year for her birthday as she loves Tinkerbell.  She hasn't discovered Strawberry Shortcake yet, and I haven't seen much other then toys and shirts out for Strawberry Shortcake.

I am glad my kids like berries as much as Dan and I do, it makes it an easy snack for all of us.  Maybe I will take a walk to the store tomorrow with the kids and buy some more! :)

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

Annette, this is so fun! ☺ I smiled the entire time - such lovely, happy memories. I'm a strawberry lover too... maybe it has something to do with people who are born in May, although we don't have a corner on the market, for sure! :D

I appreciate your friendship. So glad we got to meet that day Travis and Nathan brought us down to UT. :)

FranE said...

Gosh, I remember Strawberry Shortcake from the girls' childhood.
Strawberries and blackberries, blueberries, yum yum.
Thanks for sharing your memory with us.

Elizabeth said...

I too love strawberries the best of all the berries.

I also had all kinds of fun Strawberry Shortcake and friends decor... not to mention the dolls themselves.

-Elizabeth