Thursday, July 15, 2010

Slice of Life # 8~ "The Good-bye"

The Good-bye, hmm, there are lots of good byes.  I had many this weekend while visiting my husbands family including both of his grandmothers, not knowing when or if we would ever see them again.  But I think my most memorable good bye would have to be the day I went into the mission field.  I was the only granddaughter amongst all the grandson's of my Grandma and Grandpa Dillon's 26 grandchildren to serve a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  I know they were proud of me and that they supported me going.  This was before 9-11 so your family could walk you up to the gate and such.  Grandma and Grandpa got up early with my parents and meet me at the airport to send me off.  Grandpa tried to give me money to take with me.  I remember hugging them and walking onto the plane and knowing that was the last time I was going to see them alive.  A year later, my sweet Grandfather passed away and 7 weeks after that Grandma passed away.  It was so hard to be the only grandchild who didn't get a chance to say good bye, but I was were they wanted me to be.  But at times, I feel them close to me.  I still miss them and it has been almost 10 years since they have gone.  Thanks for teaching me Grandma and Grandpa Dillon!  I love you and miss you!


Feel free to read other's or share with us your own Slice of Life entries Here!

1 comment:

Pirate Princess said...

Thank you for joining us - I know those kinds of slices are hard to write, but they are a part of us. And yours is inspirational! I know they're STILL proud of you! =)