Sunday, June 20, 2010

Slice of Life #5: Documents, Papers, Family History

Well I haven't done a lot of family history over the years, but a few years ago I took all the notes, pictures and family documents from our Hulse Family History books from when we would meet at the family lodge in Ririe, ID.  I scanned in all of these documents and it took hours, but now I and everyone else has a copy of the documents for their own records.  It was really neat to see what the activities were, and look at the pictures.  Of course as I was looking for it on my computer to post a picture I couldn't find one, I guess I took that huge file off the computer so it wasn't taken up so much space.  But I do know were my cd is, but I am not going to go get it right now as it is time to get ready for church.  But this makes me think that I need to get going on my other projects that I wanted to do and that is to scan in all mine and Dan's mission papers that we have so that we have another copy of them somewhere in-case the originals get lost or damaged.  That will be a good project to start working on this next week.


It is fun to find new documents and such, I know that the 3 months that it took me to scan in my families info was like opening up a door to relatives lives that I had only heard about.  This way I got to feel like I knew them too.


Until next week!
Netty

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

That's awesome that you got all that done for your family! My family pays $30 a yr for myfamily.com so we can have all the documents stored online in case anything happens to the disk, such as fire, kids breaking it, whatever. Sometimes I wish I had my own granite mountain to store stuff in like the church does! lol!

FranE said...

Love it that you did this for your family. Get in there and really get to know your ancestors. As one patron at our library said, when I go to the other side, I will know my family.

Elizabeth said...

Awesome! I love genealogy work!