Saturday, April 13, 2013

Making Butter

I have never made butter before.  I was getting ready to go to the store and buy more butter when Dan's cousin's wife told me she needed to churn her butter before going to bed.  I asked her how to make my own butter and she told me what she did.  So I got the stuff and did it!

 I got 1 qt of heavy whipping cream.



added 2 T of  Real Sea Salt (that is my salt of choice now days when I have salt) (Salt is optional)


Then we churned the whipping cream in the mixer until it separated from the buttermilk.  Then we strained in a colander and rinsed with cold water and then we wrapped it up in a cheese cloth to squeeze out the extra water.
The whole process took about 10-15 min.



The blue dish is my butter dish (and only some of the butter is there) and the other is 2 cups of buttermilk, that I will save and use for cooking.

Thanks Jessi for giving me a simple way to make raw butter for myself.


2 comments:

Eliza said...

Awesome! Looks quick and easy!

Nettypg said...

It was quick and easy and since we love homemade buttermilk pancakes we can use the buttermilk. :)