Monday, June 20, 2011

Slice of Life # 57~ Moving

Growing up we moved a total of 10 times from the time I was born until I left for college.  Some of those moves were just brief stays with Grandma and Grandpa Dillon.  When I was 17 we moved to our house in Pleasant Grove which my parents stayed for 12 years until they sold it in 2006.

Dan and I were talking a few weeks ago about all the places we have lived and how many times we have moved.  When we were about to get married we started looking for a place in the Salt Lake Valley for us to live when we got married.  Dan already worked in Sandy and I was currently unemployed, but had been offered a job at Discover Card in collections that would start the Monday after we got married.  We found a place in South Salt Lake City right on the border of Salt Lake City, West Valley City and Taylorsville.  We later found out that one of my cousin's and his wife had lived in the same complex when they were first married.  Our apartment number was 911 and we had people ask us all the time if that was correct.  Dan moved in the last week of Oct just days before we were married.  I moved most of my stuff in but I didn't stay there until after we were married.

We stayed there for the 11 months and then Dan got a job in Minnesota.  I was 32 weeks pregnant and the Dr told me if I was going to go before the baby was born I had to go then or wait until the baby was born and go.  So I quit my job and went with Dan and he came back a few weeks later and got our stuff just as our lease on our apartment was up.  We stayed with his brother while we found a place.  My sister in law was great to go with me and tell me her opinion.  Dan didn't see the place in New Richmond, WI until after we signed the lease.  We lived in New Richmond, WI for 21 months and then we moved to North Hudson, WI.  I was 8 months pregnant with our 2nd child.  Partway into our lease there Dan was laid off from his job.  As our lease was ending and unemployment was ending we decided we should take his parents up on their offer and move in with them.  Just before we were to leave for Spokane, WA we found out we were pregnant and it looked like twins.  So we moved to Spokane and finally got a Dr and found out for sure that it was twins.  We stayed with my in-laws for 11 months.  By then Dan had a job and we were back on our feet and found a place not far from my in-laws.

We only lived in our apartment in Spokane for 4 months when Dan got a more steady job in Midvale, UT.  So once again we moved.  We have been here for 20 months.

So in the almost 7 years we have been married we have moved 7 times.  Crazy!  We are hoping to finally put down some roots this next year and stay in one place for awhile!

3 comments:

Shari said...

Good luck finding just the right place. As long as your family sticks together you will be happy anywhere.

Pirate Princess said...

Oh, that sounds so much like us! We have moved 13 times in 20 years - it's been a wild ride for sure! However, I have to say you get to meet a lot of different people that way... :D

Nettypg said...

If I lived closer I would have come hlep!