Saturday, July 17, 2010

Slice of Life #9: Bugs

This weeks Slice of life is bugs.  I don't like bugs for the most part.  When I got home from my trip to Minnesota I have found 4 really large spiders in my house.  In Minnesota I would get eaten by the misquotes, but the kids didn't seem affected by them as I didn't find any bites on them during this trip, but I sure had a lot of bites and we didn't have bug spray with us.  But Jennilyn was really cute about not wanting the bugs or flies to touch her.

But from my childhood I remember having to do a bug collection for my 9th grade high school Biology class.  Now school started the end of August and we had to have this done the end of Sept.  By the time school started it was getting harder to find some of the bugs that my teacher wanted us to get.  At the time we had a BYU graduate student living with us whose degree was in Mammalogy and she was studying bears.  She brought home the stuff we would need from school and took me out to find as many bugs as we could.  I kept the project around for a while, but finally decided that it took up too much room and I really didn't care to keep it for my kids or try and keep it from getting smashed so I put it in the dump.

Also when I was about 13 we were at the Hulse Family Reunion in Ririe, ID we went to a water slide park about an hour or so away.  I had come down the water slide and was walking back to go back up for another  time down and I stepped on a bee.  The lifeguard  put mud on my foot to draw out the stinger and take the pain away and it worked.

Bugs, bugs, bugs, not my favorite thing in the world, but they can be useful and fun at times.

Feel free to read other's or share with us your own Slice of Life entries Here.

Until Next week!

3 comments:

Pirate Princess said...

I never had a bug collection. I think I did a little of that for a class project, but nothing big. I wouldn't have kept it either - most of the fun was in the collecting itself, and I'm hoping my boys will want to make their own collection someday!

And OUCH - stepping on a bee! I'd never heard of mud taking away the pain - that's good to know!

Little Miss Sunshine said...

I did the bug collection for school to. I had no problem finding them in the window sills in the morning. Can you tell we had no central air, lol.

FranE said...

Cool thought to put mud on to draw out the stinger. My son had a bee sting him through his jeans, when his leg moved in the jeans, the stinger came out.
Are you sure bugs can be useful and fun?