Saturday, November 26, 2005

For what seemed like such a long time, Annette stayed at eight centimeters dilation. Even once she was given the okay to push, it would take over an hour before Dillon would be born. The doctor had returned and waited outside doing some paperwork or other stuff so he would not get in the way of labor until it was time for him to do his part of things.

Thinking of keeping unnecessary disturbances down, I actually rejected a call from my parents during this part of labor. I just looked over at the cell phone, read who it was, and hit reject. It was nothing personal, but my wife’s needs were my overriding concern at this point. I figured that they could forgive me afterwards. This actually brought some comfort to Annette when I told her that I wasn’t answering my phone because she was more important. I had actually left our hospital room telephone number with some people earlier at Annette’s request but had personally added that I would appreciate it if they limited the calling a bit.

Annette’s own mom would call shortly after Dillon was born. Talk about great timing. It also meant one less phone call for me to make once he was here. I did get a lot of answering machines that night.

Dillon was born at 7:28 PM Central Time (United States), Friday, November 18, 2005. He weighed 7 lbs 8 oz and was 20 inches long.

It was nice to be able to hold him. As I would tell my father later, I really didn’t feel any different at that moment. I knew he was my son. He actually settled down in my arms and my voice seemed to soothe him. I knew then that it would be a lot like marriage for me. It would take time for any change to settle in. I think that I am feeling more like a real dad as I write this, but I must be honest that at first it didn’t quite feel real even though I knew it was.

I can’t help but that think that the magnesium sulfate may have been stopping labor for Annette. Sarah ended up telling us that evening that she had learned it was also used to stop labor when a baby was premature. It actually makes sense. A medication to stop seizures could be used that effects the muscles. This would have a similar effect on the uterus. We may think of it as a special organ for babies, which it is, but it is also a muscle when it comes to actually pushing the baby out. Such a drug would not necessarily distinguish the difference between contractions and seizures. If it is indeed used to stop labor, then it becomes rapidly apparent that the drug cannot distinguish the difference. Hindsight is always 20-20.... Oh, well. Could we have been holding Dillon way early Friday morning if the drip had been reduced from the beginning? It is a mute point now. The only value it holds anymore is for future pregnancies.

Besides, Dillon is healthy baby boy. His dad has already had the pleasure of just sitting and watching him sleep a couple times. This is very enjoyable. I think I really like being a dad.

No comments: